As an ordained minister and someone who was raised Catholic, I cannot help but be moved by the plight of the Catholic Women’s Ordination movement that sent their message to Pope Benedict during his visit to Britain last month.
The pope was confronted by posters on London’s famous red buses during his trip to the capital calling for the ordination of women as priests.
Even though I left the church, I feel inclined to help an institution that has run into so many issues. I sincerely believe that the ordination of women will benefit not only the Catholic Church but make a positive impact on the world.
1) Women as equals. Women are tired of being treated as second-class citizens in the church. By treating women as equals and able to attain the same positions in church hierarchy as men, Catholicism would become renowned for their equality towards all humans. This positive message would inspire equality throughout the world.
2) Women as leaders. Women in leadership roles, whether in business, in their communities, or elsewhere, is steadily increasing. By allowing women to be leaders in an institution as ubiquitous as the Catholic Church, it will inspire women leaders throughout the world to take on leadership roles in their lives.
3) Women as mentors. Let’s face it; while men and women are equal they are still different. Priests are seen as mentors that are sought for spiritual and emotional guidance. I believe women priests can offer their unique perceptions to significantly add to the Catholic Church’s ability to mentor and guide their followers.
4) Women as entrepreneurs. Female entrepreneurship can inspire new and unique solutions to solve the world’s problems. There is no argument that the Catholic Church has its own sets of problems and would benefit from the ideas of women.
5) Women and relationships. Paul stresses the equality of men and women in the Bible saying that there is neither Jew nor Greek, servant nor free, male nor female, since we are all in Christ. Women as priests will foster a renewed spirit of equality and inclusion that will inspire and impact the rest of the world. Improving women and relationships within the Catholic Church will help improve the role of women and culture where Catholicism is prevalent.
These days the population of priests is diminishing and the ordination of women would reinvigorate the Catholic Church and inspire equality and women leaders throughout the world. How do you think Catholic women as priests will impact women and culture in the world?
Looking to start a business or own a small business? Please consider reading my book, How to Start Your Business with $100. You should find what you’re looking for.